The Leader In Me
The Leader In Me at Paideia is our method to instill in our scholars, teachers, staff, and families the culture of personal and public leadership. The core of the Leader In Me is the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People as outlined by Steven R. Covey. As the school year unfolds, the scholars will learn the language and meaning of the 7 Habits. We will also hold several “7 Habits of Highly Effective Families” during the year. By hearing the same language at home and at school, we send the scholars a strong message of what we believe is important and that we are all on the same team – the team that wants to help them succeed. As the school and family connect in support of one another our scholars will succeed beyond our wildest expectations! Thank you, for teaming with us for our scholars.
1. Be Proactive (I’m in charge of me)
- Take responsibility for my life and make good choices
- Stop and Think
- Use Proactive instead of Reactive Language
- Circle of Influence / Circle of Concern
- Carry Your Own Weather
- Freedom to Choose
- Accountability for Choices
2. Begin With the End in Mind (Have a plan)
- Define my mission and goals in life
- Mental creation precedes physical creation
- Vision of the future
- Mission statements
3. Put First Things First (Work first, then play)
- Spend time on things that matter the most
- Say no to the unimportant
- Big Rocks
- Plan weekly and daily
4. Think Win/Win (Everyone can win)
- Seek solutions where everyone can win
- Win-win, win-lose, lose-win, lose-lose, no deal
- Balance courage with consideration
- Manage conflict
5. Seek First to Understand, Then to be Understood (Listen before you talk)
- Listen to other people’s ideas and feelings
- Listen attentively for content
- Listen emphatically for feelings
- Voice opinions
- Present ideas clearly
6. Synergize (Together is better)
- Work together to achieve more
- Value differences
- Celebrate diversity
- Seek the Third Alternative
7. Sharpen the Saw (Balance feels best)
- Regularly renew my heart, mind, body, and spirit
- Find balance in life
- Sharpen the physical saw: healthy diet, exercise, hygiene
- Sharpen the emotional saw: have fun, build relationships
- Sharpen the mental saw: well-rounded learning, more authentic reading – less screen time (TV, computers, smart phone)
- Sharpen the spiritual saw: find meaning, quiet reflection, service to others
Each scholar should memorize the Scholar Mission Statement. Please practice at home.
Paideia Scholar Mission Statement
I am a Paideia Scholar!
I am proactive by taking responsibility for my life and making good choices.
I begin with the end in mind by defining my mission and goals in life.
I put first things first by spending my time on things that matter most.
I have a win/win attitude by seeking solutions where everyone can win.
I seek first to understand, then to be understood by listening to other people’s ideas and feelings.
I synergize by working together to achieve more.
I sharpen the saw by regularly renewing my mind, heart, body, and spirit.
As a Paideia scholar I am here to live, to love, to learn, and to leave a legacy.
I am a Paideia scholar!